Identity and the sense of belonging
Period 5; Mon-Fri
INSTRUCTIONAL GOALS: Students will read nonfiction and fiction tests that teach cultures and lives of people and communities around the world. The class uses experiential and project based learning to strengthen the impact of the students’ learning. Students will broaden their world view and learn about places and regions to get a better sense of the world in spatial terms. Students will also learn about the environment and society, political foundations, social and cultural world history. Our goal is to become well rounded knowledgeable young adults who will participate in our community in a productive way.
At the end of this course, you will
- know...what stereotypes are, where the countries we are reading about are located on a world map, and some basics about the culture of those countries.
- be able to...notice stereotypes based on your broader knowledge, name the continent and the countries that we learned about.
- understand… that stereotypes are harmful when they are used to dehumanize others and the dangers of assigning blanket generalizations on others without knowing them first.
Books / Materials:
- American Born Chinese
- Maus Vol. I and II
- The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas
- A Long Way Gone
To successfully complete this course, you will need
- Your notebook with notes and daily exercises
- Completed all the projects
- Unit 1 - China/immigration
- Unit 1 - The Jewish Diaspora
- Unit 3 - War and refugees
For each unit, students will learn to find the countries and cities on a map, they will learn about the basics of the political climate, they will sample the music, the food and other cultural aspects as well as create some art pieces.
POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
The class will be expected to maintain appropriate behavior with regard to respecting themselves, their peers, their superiors as well as their classroom. Failure to be respectful will result in a discipline referral and/or detention.
Smart Phone use is not allowed in class UNLESS the teacher specifically asks students to use it for class purposes.
Laptops must be signed out on the chart on the cart.
- Daily participation 10%
- Formative exercises and activities 40%
- Summative assignments 30%
- Midterm/Finals 20%
- Extra Credit points will be given each day for handing in smart phones to the charging station.